[pianotech] frustrated

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 08:51:01 MST 2013

Fortunately, I don't have any that I give that amount of time. But there
are real problem pianos out there, for sure. While one may pride oneself on
being able to "tune anything", some of those instruments really need a full
rebuild, and you need to to let the piano owner know in no uncertain terms.
Often the rendering problem on a century old Chickering (for example) is
just too much punishment to bear -- but many of us keep returning when the
customer calls.
The real headache for me is partial or complete rebuilds that feature pin
torque in the neighborhood of 200 inch lbs. The tuning pins flex more than
they turn in the block. No fun.
Patrick Draine
PS Don Mannino may have appropriate advice for that Kawai