[pianotech] frustrated

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 11 08:05:52 MST 2013

Do any besides me have pianos which take 4-5 hours to tune, and if so how do
you bill for them.   I have some Chickerings which take me that long, and I
have a Kawai KG2 (which I'm tuning for a serious concert) which I simply
can't get stable. Not that I get it set and then a whole section will go
out, but I just can't get it to go and stay where it should.   I don't know
what to do in those instances. After all I'm hired to tune the piano, but
spending that long is quite counterproductive to income.    I have a
customer on whom I spend more than average time but I love the piano and her
as a unique musician.  She's a professional accompanist.  I measured a
"pitch raise" after a six month passage of time, and was an average of 1.1
cents off- so I can tune.  But there are a few which just drive me nuts.
Any ideas for sanity in these instances?

Thanks

Les Bartlett