[pianotech] wooden click at letoff?...reprise

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 11:08:16 MST 2013

Jim

When I first lifted the damper with my finger the click was not there. That's why it took me so long to find the problem. I could hear the click with the action in the piano, but not when I lifted the damper by hand. It wasn't until I removed the damper and reamed the hole that I found the little piece of glue on the underside of the guide rail.

This piano is on a neighboring island, and the first time the customer complained, I only had about 15 minutes before I had to leave for the airport. So the next time I came, I allowed a little more time, but again couldn't find the problem. So the third time I allowed myself about an hour. All told, I spent about 90 minutes, over three call backs, to find this stupid problem. Fortunately it wasn't a very loud click, but enough for the customer to hear it. Of course the longer it lasted, the "louder" it became. I guess she thought I wasn't a good technician because she hasn't called me back to tune her piano again. Fortunately the dealer paid me for my time, but he wasn't very happy with me, either.

Wim