[pianotech] "interesting" pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 4 08:41:12 MST 2013

On 1/4/2013 9:18 AM, John Ross wrote:
> How about those that have the piano professionally refinished, before
> they have it even tuned.

Forensic cosmetology. Well sure, after all it's just furniture. I once
showed up at an appointment to find an old upright that they had
laboriously scraped and chiseled off every scrap of veneer and cross
banding, and clear coated the lumber core with about 14 coats of
polyurethane. They had at least a couple of birthdays in it in time, and
it was quite unique looking. When I put together a quick list of what
I'd have to do to even attempt to tune it, they were horrified. Just
like all those old players that just need a couple of hoses replaced,
old uprights in any condition at all just need a little tuning touch up.
They don't wear out, you know, and there are still some genuine ivories
(which are quite valuable) sort of stuck on some of the keys - most of
which still make noise when you press them. Just needs a little tuning.
Everyone knows that.

Ron N