[pianotech] Perma free II

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 14:18:46 MDT 2012

On 9/26/2012 1:55 PM, David Love wrote:
> Protek is completely ineffective on these flanges and typically has been
> for me on PFII. I've not repinned an entire set of these type but why do
> you think that it's ineffective permanently and what is the issue
> exactly. Inquiring minds... I think I did post this question once before
> some time ago but don't think an answer was forthcoming.

The archives are replete <G> with this, just not recently. First, Wim's
right. Fix=replace. The only wrong way to do it that I found worth the
time was a thorough soaking with the silicone and naphtha mix, heated in
with a heat gun until it bubbled up and smoked, darkening the flanges
and scaring the bejeebers out of the operator. Two consecutive
applications. Lasted about six years before the centers started seizing
again. I have no idea how many brain cells it killed... but then I
wouldn't, would I?

Ron N