[pianotech] Steinway back checks

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Sep 12 06:54:49 MDT 2012

Larry -
I think everyone should experience the exquisite
thrill of 'trimming' a large skin (not talking
about Doremus's approach) to figure out areas of
varying thickness and grain direction.  After
that, I would (have been) using nicely consistent
Ecsaine synthetic buckskin, from Pianotek (listed
in their catalog). I'm not sure if it's got
hidden flaws that show up the day after the
warrantee ends, but it is remarkably consistent,
both in thickness and texture.

The biggest challenge is coming up with a method
of cutting the correct width strips for the
particular width checks (without invoking the
Doremus approach).  I use an Olfa rotary cutter
(on an appropriate surface) and a piece of brass
or steel stock that's large enough to keep my fingers away from the cutter.

I don't think it's that difficult to achieve the
correct tautness.  Once I've cut the long strips
from the sheet, I cut individual pieces (to a
predetermined length that will be slightly
over-size, requiring a little trimming).  I use
hide glue, fairly thick, to glue the skin to the
top of the check.  By the time I've finished
that, (and, after checking to see that I still
have all 11 fingers), I glue the bottom, pulling
it reasonably taut.  I've used a few different
kinds of clamping procedures, for example, I've
used a set of Schaff's Key Bushing Wedge Clamps
((P.48 - #151) that I've modified by changing the
angle of the feet and compressing, so that the
clamp actually works in an inward direction
(rather than outward, as originally purposed).  I
haven't, but probably will (upon next use) glue a
small piece of something to the inside surface of
the active foot, to avoid a bit of dimpling.  I
also have used some mini-spring clamps (plastic) that I got somewhere,

When try, I just trim the excess from the bottom
(again, avoiding the Doremus method), and, voyla! (voila!).

Clearly, you would want to be sure that all the
remaining aspects of the backcheck were sound,
such as wires and backcheck felt.  In fact, it
might be an interesting issue to pursue to
consider the ideal degree of resilience of the
backcheck system (wire, felt, skin) as it contributes to effective checking.

Of course, it would be smart to master the
process of installing new backchecks as well.

Good luck.

David Skolnik, RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY