[pianotech] brass rail duplication

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Tue Sep 11 19:41:43 MDT 2012

Hi Will,

No  ........   .035 isn’t acceptable however, you’re still stuck with a fix.

Sounds like the thing to do is fill the wood screw hole in the hammer rail, shim the shelf you mentioned with appropriate stock of some sort (center rail pins glued in place here and there), redrill the hole in the hammer butt rail to accommodate and have a customer happy.  I suppose you could elongate the mounting holes in the new rails and glue in place or hope they never slip out of adjustment.  I suppose once you have the new position decided, you could drill a very small hole through the new plates and install a small brad to hold them better.

thanks for sharing.  I’ve never had to duplicate a rail but I know brass has a shelf life.  I have a few dangling from a support beam in my shop as a decoration.  I’m not anxious for the day when I have to do this job.

(image of rice paper omitted)