[pianotech] alternative to new bridge

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Sep 10 00:14:36 MDT 2012

I've done both. I cut the bridge and reset it to shorten the scale on a long
Sohmer grand that used agrafes on the bridges. The owner wanted to keep the
agrafes but duplicating that thing would have been extremely costly. Still,
I needed to shorten up the strings some -- I thought 260+ lbf on the
mid-tenor and lower-treble strings was a bit much! -- so I cut the bridge
(underneath the frame struts) into three pieces and relocated them. I
spliced in wood as needed to fill the gaps and splined the pieces back
together. Worked very nicely.

I've also built up existing bridges by adding thick veneers as needed and
recapping. The only real downside is that to keep an appropriate width
you'll probably need to take some wood off of the front side of the bridge
which will almost certainly cut through some of the original veneers. Can
look unsightly unless you also put a fresh piece of veneer on the front side
to hide everything.

In the end it comes down to which approach -- modifying the original or
building up on a new body -- takes the most time and materials and costs
either you or the owner them most (or least) amount of money.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com