[pianotech] stuck action

Joseph Giandalone rufy at rcn.com
Wed Sep 5 07:05:54 MDT 2012

About those drop screws: assuming it's got the spade top type of regulating screw (as opposed to the little screw slots like the Steinways) you can make a tool to turn them down.

Model it after those flat capstan turners for hex or square capstan screw. Mine is 3/8" wide and 7" long, and 1/16" thick. On one end,  round off the corners and file a 1/16"- wide slot, in line with the length of the tool; make the slot about 1/16" deep into it (this slot will grab the head of the drop screw).  Call this ed the 180-degree slot. On the other end of the tool, make slots at 90 and 45 degrees.

Sorry I don't have the capacity to give you a picture at the moment, but I'm sure you get the idea. It takes a long @#!$%!*&! time and a crick in your neck, but you can turn those screws down and get the action out. I've done this on a couple of grands with delaminating pinblocks.

Don't know what to do if it's the screw-slot type of drop screws.

Joseph