[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 29 11:21:12 MDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 12:05 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> This is what you need, all from Fastenal: Idea from Ron Nossaman
> originally I believe.
>
> 3/8"-16 x 4" Black Oxide Alloy Steel Cup Point Socket Set Screw
>
> 3/8-16 Nickel Plated Acorn Nut
>
> 3/8"-16 Zinc Finish Case Hardened Serrated Flange Nut
>
> The Flange nut is inverted and epoxied in place along the length of
> the Allen set screw so that the shank will protrude far enough above
> the plate so that you can turn down the acorn nut without bottoming
> out before touching the top of the plate.

Almost. It's a lock nut, and epoxy isn't needed, though I use a drop of
thread locker for insurance when I assemble them. Hint: use a relatively
small diameter lock nut and counter bore the soundboard so it will screw
down flush before installing. It's no fun having the plate still 1/2 a
lock nut's thickness too high while you're setting bearing with a
laminated cap pinned bridge installed.

Ron N