[pianotech] re-fabricating a failed soundboard

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon May 28 10:57:10 MDT 2012

Dale,

 >Now how did they steam this board out without damage to the rim etc. ?
Steam is really hot active penetrating stuff and we are talking water
soluble hide glue in the rim.

It took some R&D and of course failures to get there, but they said at
this point they have the procedure down without any case or rim
delamination. Of course they were not describing the entire procedure,
but the steam is applied in thick silcone rubber  "manifolds" I'll call
em, with a groove running down the length of the manifold, and the
manifold weighed down. THe manifold and its steam  applied well away
from the rim. Plate and any visible bolt holes into the rim sealed with
silicone caulk.

This no doubt would all take a fair number of failures to get under
control...if the experiment was worth it...its interesting to think
about, but I don't know if I would prioritize fussing with this, unless
I had a client willing to fund the fussing.

Gene, they are regluing the panel after removal, as necessary. A fair
amount of work seems to go into reconstituting the board. THat's why I
said $3/hr.  I actually asked them what they were earning at this point
on the process, and it wasn't much, though he didn't get specific.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com