[pianotech] Stretch in tuning

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri May 25 20:05:03 MDT 2012

On 05/25/2012 07:01 PM, David Lawson wrote:
> This is a subject that has haunted me for ever. We all know that piano tuning is subjected to all sorts of rights and
> wrongs, as there are so many opinions out there. The stretching of octaves is,(as you say), during get togethers,
> mentioned in passing, and then dropped. I often follow up on other tuner's work, which in most cases is of quality,
> and find that they have streched the treble far more that I would have. Having mentioned this to some of my fellow
> techs. they have suggested that as you get older you lose a little in the treble tuning. If this is the case, it
> brings one to consider, is it just me, or is it entirely subject to individual opinion. I am an aural tuner and do not
> own an ETD. I am over 70 years of age too, which may have something to do with the mystery of correct stretching of
> octaves.  I understand that ETD build in stretching. Does this facility take into consideration of the idiosyncrasies
> of the indivual instrument like the human ear?
> David Lawson
> OZ

Well, IMHO, at least Cybertuner does. Because before you start tuning, you sample all the A's, which no only tells how
far off the tuning is, but also registers the inharmonicity, etc. Plus allows - 9 - standard settings for stretch as
well as allowing for custom settings. Plus, also, allows for setting to listening to certain partials.

http://www.reyburn.com/innovations.html

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years