[pianotech] Stretch in tuning

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Fri May 25 18:01:49 MDT 2012

This is a subject that has haunted me for ever. We all know that piano
tuning is subjected to all sorts of rights and wrongs, as there are so many
opinions out there. The stretching of octaves is,(as you say), during get
togethers, mentioned in passing, and then dropped. I often follow up on
other tuner's work, which in most cases is of quality, and find that they
have streched the treble far more that I would have. Having mentioned this
to some of my fellow techs. they have suggested that as you get older you
lose a little in the treble tuning. If this is the case, it brings one to
consider, is it just me, or is it entirely subject to individual opinion. I
am an aural tuner and do not own an ETD. I am over 70 years of age too,
which may have something to do with the mystery of correct stretching of
octaves.  I understand that ETD build in stretching. Does this facility take
into consideration of the idiosyncrasies of the indivual instrument like the
human ear?
David Lawson
OZ