[pianotech] bead blasting wood...gently

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 18:04:12 MDT 2012

You might want to reconsider. The "bare metal" under the paint is rough, porous cast iron that has been coated with stuff called 'way back when "Japanning" : I suspect some sort of coal tar derivative that filled the pores and imperfections in the rough sand-casting.  (If you want to see what the plate looked like without it, turn the plate over.) Yes, you could take the plate down to that. But you'd be giving youreslf a big job smoothing it out again.
( Probably with toxic auto-body filler. ) So why bother? If you don't like the look of some letters, try improving them ( after the bronze paint has been removed ) with a little JB weld, or (the thicker) PC7 and careful sanding and filing. (Besides, I suspect that you'd find the lettering beneath the paint as bad or worse than with the paint on it.)

Thumpe