[pianotech] SnS M

Byeway222 at aol.com Byeway222 at aol.com
Wed May 23 10:57:36 MDT 2012

This type of spring cord appears to have changed over the years from having
 lots of very fine fibres to fewer but thicker strands.  I have found  that
it is sometimes too thin for the hole in the flange, and before trimming it
 flush, I have put the thinnest centre pin through the middle of the cord
and  then trimmed with flush cutters.

The most effective way to achieve a really good point on the cord is as
follows:-
1) Draw back the outer 'sheath' and cut off, say,  and inch and a  quarter
of the strands.
2) Trap the very end of the sheath in a vice and pull reasonably  tightly.
It will form a thin round section.
3) Whilst still pulling, apply thin CA glue along the length and hold for
about a minute.  When it is hard remove from the vice and trim the  point.
It will have formed into a very fine 'glass needle' which will  go through
the smallest holes.

Richard