[pianotech] "Tune your Go#h D##n Piano!"

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed May 23 04:38:36 MDT 2012

Personally I don't swear at all in everyday speech.  I am careful even
with very mild expletives

I don't want to drag this too far off-topic, but perhaps we are allowed
the occasional little digression, in the interest of general Liberal
Arts & Humanities?

What constitutes swear-words, and their degree of gravity, varies of
course with time.  "Bloody" is now less grave than it was in the 1960s.
In UK television we note that the "F" word is now commonplace after the
9pm "watershed" (the time after which more adult content is deemed
acceptable on TV).  It's also noteworthy that the "C" word, up till now
ABSOLUTELY taboo, is just beginning to appear in broadcasting.

The word "ruddy" as a simple adjective means red, as in "he has a ruddy
complexion".  But doubtless it is, in an expletive context, a derivative
of "bloody", with the references you suggest, Susan.  In the UK it is
seen as a very mild expletive, further down the scale than "bloody".
But the point is well-taken that this is an international list.  (In US
usage, "fanny" means derierre, but in UK usage it means, well, a lady's
"front bottom" and is very rude indeed)

As a side-point, manufacturers are increasingly aware of this in naming
products, since products are sold internationally these days.  Thus, our
much-loved "Marathon" snack bar got changed to "Snickers", which a)
sounds like knickers, b) is a word for a snide little laugh and c) loses
all the reference to ancient Greece and Phaidipedes, and the connotation
of getting enough energy from the snack bar to run a marathon.

Another example is the change in name, for Euro-marketing purposes, of a
well-known UK cream cleaning product, from Jif to Cif.  "Jif" was short
for "Jiffy", a short time. In other words, with the cream cleaner, you
can clean the mess up "in a jiffy", an instant.  "Cif" is meaningless in
any language.  Another ghastly change is the delicious chocolate/candy
bar which was called "Dime", being changed to "Daim".  Shudder.

There was the story also about Rolls-Royce years ago, with a new model.
They had Silver Shadow and SIlver Cloud, so the new one was to be called
Silver Mist, until someone pointed out that mist is the German word for
dung!

In the UK we are split between trade with Europe and trade with the
USA.  For that reason, our attempt at metrication of all measurements
got halted in its tracks.  The poor old greengrocer will get flung in
jail and left to rot, if he sells you a pound (lb) of brussels sprouts.
His scale and all his prices, must by law be in metric (Kg).  But all
our road signs are in miles, including the speed limit signs, and when
you buy an auto magazine, it tells you fuel consumption in Miles per
Gallon. BUT, in the garage, fuel is sold in price per Litre!  It was
full-steam ahead with metrication some years ago, until someone in
government realised that the USA is our biggest trading partner, and the
USA is resolutely uninterested in metric measurements and prices!

When I visited relatives in California, I was delighted by a measuring
tape, and Stan my host kndly gave it to me. It has inches along one
edge, and along the other edge..... inches.  In the UK they all have
inches on one side and centimetres on the other.

Personally, I think "imperial" (avoirdupois etc, non-metric) measures
are better for  everyday living measurements. My size ten shoe meaures
12 inches - one foot - great for pacing out a room.  And a pound of
butter or cheese is a good amount to work with.  Metric lacks the
in-between, anthropometric, sizes. Millimeters centimeters and metres
are OK for engineering  but there needs to be an inbetween measurement,
perhaps a "sesquimeter" (i just invented that), 15cm.  Or something like
that.  And I really don;t think we have gotten to grips at all with
buying fook in grams and kilograms.

I find that young people here are not nowadays very good in either
system.  When I used to teach photographic darkroom work and we measured
solutions, I would ask a new class "Do you mostly work in metric or
imperial?" and they would all say "Metric".  So I would ask "What height
are you?" "Five foot eight!" What weight? "Ten stone three" (143lbs).
And when I would ask "How wide is this room" and "How far is it to
Glasgow", they often could not express an estimate in either system.

End of digression!  How did I get from swearing to kilograms?

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk