[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 43, Issue 124, should be More HL problems, sigh...

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue May 22 17:59:51 MDT 2012

Hi Phil:

The question that started my initial post is still begging and perhaps you
could give me an explanation.

A year ago, I wrote a lengthy response to a post on the HL list that I had
spent half an hour composing .  I needed to check something, so I minimized
the post.  When I tried to return to maximize it, the message was gone,
chucked out the invisible doggy door into the ether.  I was not happy, to
put it mildly.  I shared my disgust with the readers of the forum, since
what I was trying to do is a basic Windows function.

Yesterday, I was responding to a message from the HL site, and minimized my
reply to go check for something online.  The same thing happened when I came
back.

Here is where the rubber meets the road for me:

The ability to minimize and maximize a Window is a core function of Windows,
one of the most commonly used functions of Windows.  I believe it has been
around since what, Windows 3.0 in 1990?  Suffice it to say 20 plus years.

MS Windows is far and away the most commonly used operating system, so
presumably software developers are going to write programs that in
particular use the most common Windows functions and are able to do so in a
trouble free manner.  Indeed, this aspect of Windows is common to other
GUI's.

One would have thought that HL would have addressed any problems that their
Forum software might have with Windows (insert my example of bug here),
since it is a problem that virtually anyone who uses the program will
encounter at one time or another.  And it will happen to you a lot, unless
you stop minimizing windows so as to not lose your message.  But then not
minimizing the window defeats the purpose of having that option in the first
place.

PTG is far from the only group to use this their Forum software, so
everybody else has this problem and it has been around for years, however
long ago HL or their subcontractors developed this software.

So a year has passed since my first experience, and it has been repeated.
Wouldn't the most obvious conclusion for someone like myself to draw be that
they either don't know how to fix the problem and/or they don't care enough
to bother?  I have no reason to believe that it will be fixed a year from
now.  Want to bet me 10 bucks on that?

It is hard to avoid the conclusion that this company is not working in good
faith with PTG when issues like this are ignored.  Why has it not been
fixed?  Has anyone on our end approach HL about this problem?  (It is almost
inconceivable, though, that HL would not know about it).

Will Truitt