[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Fri May 18 12:30:07 MDT 2012

Actually I was taught aural tuning using a C temperament, as was many other older technicians.  The C temperament I was taught, and used for a number of years, used the fourth and fifth intervals for tuning and checked with thirds and sixths.  It sure helped me to hear the slow beating fourth and fifth intervals. Sometime afterward I switched to the F temperament which utilized thirds and sixth intervals for tuning and 4th and 5th intervals for checks (among other intervals), primarily because I started tuning for a university and decided to set the A-440 at the beginning, rather than 2/3 through the temperament.  I still use the F temperament, although I could easily switch to the C temperament. Just for fun I ought to try it sometime and see what I can do with it!
Joy!
Elwood