[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri May 18 11:11:14 MDT 2012

On 5/18/2012 8:19 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> My thought was that the master tuning process would be as close as
> anyone would likely get to a repeatable aural tuning, that would be
> anything like acceptable to the armchair believers.

This brings up an interesting point. Aural tuners probably come in
several flavors as far as the uniformity of their work is concerned.
They would have to be tested a number of times to find this out. Some
might be extremely uniform in their results, while others might vary a
lot yet still produce musically acceptable results.

Obviously, having an aural tuner who has never been influenced by
working with an ETD is not on your list of priorities.

Oh, well, it would have been interesting to see what effect working with
a machine has, and whether someone who has never worked with a machine
produces a qualitatively different tuning. For instance, do they set
octaves exactly on a coincident partial, or do they actually avoid them?
Does the choice of partial vary with the part of the scale, and does it
change over at roughly the points the machine chooses?  -- but I can see
that it would take a large sample number to come up with anything
convincing.

The possible number of people who have never used a machine is shrinking
by the day, as the gray heads thin out. I just received my third Social
Security payment, for instance.

Never mind ... if no one else is interested, that's pretty convincing
that it's never going to happen. To extract this kind of information in
the future from old recordings would be damned near impossible, IMO.

Bowing out.

Susan Kline