[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 18 09:19:47 MDT 2012

On 5/18/2012 8:28 AM, Ron Koval wrote:
> So I've been thinkin'.... (I know, often dangerous!)
>
> Since the point of the experiment is to document where, if there is any
> change to an aural-type tuning with change in humidity,
> we shouldn't need to emulate a master tuning.

The point was to document the irrepeatability of BOTH aural and ETD
tunings under different RH% as the piano changes, not just aural
tunings. The point was that ETDs are way more accurate than pianos are
capable of supporting, and the point was that whatever method was used
to tune the piano, it wouldn't match the last tuning. It was intended as
an illustration of the measuring marshmallows with a micrometer effect,
and an attempt to inject some reality into tuning expectations by
illustrating and somewhat quantifying the limitations of the instrument.

My thought was that the master tuning process would be as close as
anyone would likely get to a repeatable aural tuning, that would be
anything like acceptable to the armchair believers. I don't know this to
be the case, having never participated in the process, but the committee
process producing the most uniform and high quality tuning was cited
repeatedly as the selling point for the process when the current tuning
test was being developed, so that's all I have for evidence. So the
aural tuning wouldn't "emulate" anything at all, and most certainly
wouldn't be done with an ETD. It would BE a master tuning, if that's
worth anything, and would be produced aurally. The question was how
close to the previous master tuning is the next one on a given piano.
It's the machine tuning that doesn't have to emulate the master tuning,
since they wouldn't be compared one to the other, but the question was
how close to the previous ETD tuning is the next one on a given piano.
Whether either of these processes can produce anything useful is looking
more highly doubtful each day. So far, I haven't seen any indication of
hope that a baseline can be established as a point of departure.

Unless that changes immediately, I think it's time I officially
retracted the experiment as ill conceived and apparently impossible to
conduct cleanly.

Ron N