[pianotech] A new (?) idea for reconstituting pinblocks???

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 21:42:32 MDT 2012

Dear List,
     I know replacing a block is always the best, but would any benefit derive from diligently taping over the holes from the underside of an apparently still-good one, then filling them with some ultra-thin, super-slow-set epoxy or plenty of CA and then sucking it back out again? (Or dumping out, if the block's out of the piano.) After it has had a chance to soak laterally into the grain? Then  carefully reaming before restringing? I sometimes encounter great-looking blocks that appear to be quite solid, and had pretty-tight pins in them, but fear that the brittleness of the old hide glue may cause them to delaminate upon restringing, and perhaps this would preclude it. ( Or fix existing, minor delaminations that may not be easily visible.) And might be a decent fix for a piano that has to be severely broken apart to get the old block out ... or one that is owned by an "economically challenged" person?

Thumpe