[pianotech] Guess what I have in my shop?!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 15:36:54 MDT 2012

Terry the Farrell said:
"HOT DOG! 1867 Steinway square. Likely will not be pulling plate. Doing
some bridge repairs, restringing, dampers, full action rebuild. Case is
nearly flawless. Should be nice when done....."

Terry,
I would strongly suggest you pull the plate and do pinblock route/replace!
(unless it's one of those that the plate is inlet into the case. If there
is moulding, it's removeable.) Cap the bridges..don't just "mess with it"!
If the dampers are reasonably functional..leave them alone. If not, then
duplicate EXACTLY what is there. DO NOT put modern Wedge type dampers on
it! (PLEASE???!!!) Do a scale evaluation and reset it for 440cps. Use
435cps as your criteria for the initial scale run...then change that
perameter.
Hmmm? And where are you going to get the action parts for this "full action
rebuild"???Hmmmm?<G> Yes, it will be "nice when done"....properly. Try a
Victorian Temperament to really get the full enchilada.<G>
BTW, I wouldn't get up on replacing the board, since that thing was flat 2
days after it was installed. (scope out the ribbing//rim mounting, etc. and
you'll get what I mean. On those, it really doesn't matter. Ya gets what ya
gets. I am available for consultation.<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I