[pianotech] Glass cleaner to remove cigarette tar, how to bag a piano, and other piano-cleaning fun...

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 16:48:53 MDT 2012

Thanks. I truly appreciate the suggestion, and indeed did go to the store to check out "Scrubbing Bubbles" on my way to "slay this dragon". But all the varieties at the Publix here had some sort of scent, so I held off and just got more glass cleaner. ( Publix brand has a milder, less headache-inducing odor than, say, Windex, that also goes away faster.) I had a very bad experience with Febreze years ago ( left a weird smell in a piano that made me quite ill) so I'm wary.  But I do intend to get some "Scrubbing Bubbles" tonight, which I'll try on a junk piano part to see if the perfume goes away enough for me.
     Related news: I went to the office of the nice, climate-controlled storage facility where this Chickering Ampico now "lives", and noticed several sizes of mattress bags for sale. I bought the king-sized ( for $4) and found that it fit very nicely over this on-its-side, 5'8" grand, "quarantining" it until I can get it all cleaned. (Yay!!!) And just now realized that such a bag (a fresh one) will also be PERFECT for pumping ozone into (from my $800-- small version-- ozone generator) once all accessible, overt contamination has been removed. I know the ozone will damage all the rubber stuff, but all the bellows cloth and tubing need replacement, anyhow.

Peace,
Thumpe