[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue May 15 13:53:38 MDT 2012

If I were a little better able to travel, this might be tempting.
I could easily tune the piano, someone else would have to make the
measurements, then we could put a humidifier in the room for a
day or so, and I could tune it again.

Of course, quality is in the ear of the listener, but it seems to me
that someone who has NEVER used an ETD might have something to offer to
a project like this. Someone totally (for 32 years) uninfluenced by
the machine's distinctions, or by arbitrary adherence to the various
partial choices.

It might, actually, offer one of two experiments: if my tuning is uniform
enough just from so many years of doing it, that would suit Ron's original
experiment. If it turned out to have minor but erratic changes between
the tunings --
or not to have them -- that might answer whether an ETD is really a helpful
study tool to improve all aural tuners' work ... or not.

Susan (ducking ...)