[pianotech] Another ETD check

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 14 14:07:08 MDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 2:46 PM, Ron Koval wrote:

> Yes Wookie-San, questions abound!  I have read about FAC numbers changing with
>
> the seasons, and there was some chatter on the Verituner list about not trusting
>
> saved tunings....  I tried measuring a tuned and de-tuned piano to see if the Verituner
>
> came up with different inharmonicity data, (it didn't) but haven't ever documented the
>
> seasonal swings.  (sounds like more practice room data gathering is in the works!)

No, not practice room tunings with an ETD. I'd very much like to see
just what I described, for the reasons I gave - a recorded and saved
test master tuning data set on the same aurally super tuned piano at
significantly different humidity levels. I have no doubt this has been
done, and the data already exists, so it ought to be much easier than I
expect it will prove to be to obtain.

>  I suppose this matters more to those that live in areas with real
seasons...

Since I don't tune with an ETD, it's educational in other aspects on my
part, and has the potential toward supplying the beginnings of answers
to long unanswered speculation.
Ron N