[pianotech] Heated Discussion?

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 15:54:05 MDT 2012

Duaine
Joe mentioned that it was odd that some of the current CTE's had not weighed in on the discussion.  I then read the well worded treatise by David Renaud and felt that even as a current CTE and one who had been the Chair of the Exam Test Standards Committee two years ago that there was not a lot to add.
You also express dissatisfaction at the treatment of subject matter in the Journal and in the discussion groups.  PTG has in the past spent a lot of time and energy to pneumatic player systems in both its written articles and convention offerings.  As recently as the convention in Nashville an all day class was offered on pneumatic player service and restoration.  I know because I co taught that one with Mark Haas from Detroit.  Even at that point there was a realization that pneumatic players have been and continue to be a declining portion of the overall piano industry.  I used the analogy of the piano industry being akin to a dog walking through a forest in comparison to all other worldwide industries.  Pneumatic players as an industry could be compared to a flea on the back of the dog walking through the woods. Yes in 1925 fifty five percent of all pianos sold had a pneumatic player system in them.  Story & Clark offered the last pneumatic
 player system and even QRS had shut down roll production a short time ago.  If PTG is going to appeal to the largest target audience it will focus on the most current technologies.  Given that there has not been a reed organ made since the 1950's might explain the absence of articles related to servicing them as well.
I have specialized in player piano service and restoration for years and in my market there has been a marked downturn in that aspect of my business.  Focusing on servicing current piano technology meets the needs of the greatest number of the membership.  Meeting people who also specialize in niche markets is one of the fraternal benefits of membership in PTG and attending PTG conventions.  While there may not be a formal class on pneumatic players at a convention I personally have had a lot of "hallway conversations" on pneumatic systems over the years simply because people knew I worked on them.
PTG is like any organization in that there is a system to get things done.  There will always be personalities involved in making things happen and at some points not everyone will agree on what is the best direction for the organization or the best approach to achieve the goals set forth.  PTG is one of the most open and sharing organizations around.  I really don't know of any other place where members and non-members could exchange ideas and gain knowledge.  Other forums in which I participate require a fee for such an exchange. Presently the PTG membership foots the bill for this and the Higher Logic forum and we allow our guests to participate along with us.
The current exam system took years to evolve and is one of the items we get asked about by other sister organizations across the globe.  Examiners volunteer a lot of time in order to make this happen.   Candidates who take the time to prepare for the exam process find it a rewarding process regardless of their initial outcome.  I personally have taken the Tuning Exam three times.  Twice to become an RPT and a third time to become a CTE.  Despite passing the CTE exam with marks for which I was proud I still learned more about aural tuning by assisting in the exam rooms after passing my exam.  I really do wish you would have a more teachable attitude.  Your posts have created a great deal of discussion but I don't always get the feeling you are listening to the answers.
Norman Cantrell