[pianotech] Close Encounters - gray goo

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 6 15:38:13 MDT 2012

I bought some little Neodymium magnets a while back (bigger than I
wanted, but priced right) with the intention of embedding them in the
corners of a couple of small wooden boxes that don't otherwise have
catches. Hinges, yes, but no catches.

So I drilled out the corners to the appropriate depth, and went looking
for a suitable glue. I was pretty sure I had some J-B KWIK left, and
against all odds, I found it right where it should have been. A good
omen, for sure. Mixed up what I needed, and started installing magnets.
This is where it got interesting. J-B is filled with ferric something or
other, be it powdered steel, iron, hematite, or moon core dust, which
means it ought to be attracted to a magnet. Yep, sure enough, the stuff
crawled up out of the holes and chased me around the shop every time I
got one of those fierce little round suckers anywhere near it. Made for
quite the floor show, but I eventually won, and it worked really nicely
in the end. I figure even if the J-B didn't stick to the magnet, it
would stick to the wood and the magnet would attract the surrounding
filler enough to keep it there. Belt and suspenders, so to speak. The
visual of that stuff boiling up over the edge of the magnet and
engulfing it will "stick" with me for a long time, so it was worth doing
for that alone.

I think we ought to try something new on a regular basis just to see
what entertainment potential we're missing.

Ron N