[pianotech] teflon

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Mar 30 11:01:53 MDT 2012

Hi Norbert:

I’ve been trying to do a bit of research quickly on the internet about the
toxicity of Teflon.  The only thing that I can find so far is,

‘There is one known health hazard associated with Teflon, inhalation of
fumes produced during degradation of the coating. Temporary flue-like
symptoms (known as polymer fume fever) can occur when the fumes from
overheated fluoropolymers are inhaled. Typically the fluoropolymer coating
would have to be heated to an excess of 500°F to begin to deteriorate. Fumes
are not typically given off until the fluoropolymer significantly decomposes
(660°F). Fats, butter, and cooking oil tend to scorch and smoke at only
400°F. When used properly Teflon® non-stick products are safe.

DuPont states “Teflon® cookware is formulated and quality tested to resist
peeling or chipping, which will only occur if cookware is misused. However,
in the event that particles from Teflon® cookware are accidentally eaten,
there is no danger. These particles are non-toxic. If eaten, they pass
directly through the body and are not absorbed. The FDA has stated that
eating Teflon® particles does not pose a health hazard”.

http://www.plastechcoatings.com/teflon_misconceptions.html

As you can see from above, Dupont claims that the particles are non-toxic,
and would pass through the body unabsorbed if eaten.  They are, of course,
an interested party.

Still, unless your piano catches on fire and you choose to remain in the
house while it is burning, there seems to be little risk that your action
will function like cookware and poison you. (I’d still keep the hot dogs off
the hammers anyway).  It also seems quite unlikely that the Teflon will
become airborne and migrate from the knuckles to your customers lungs.  Nor
is it likely that the players skin will come directly in contact with the
Teflon.

In that context, it is fair to conclude that the risk to your customer is
all but non-existent.  The burden of proof seems to be with the other
technician to show HOW the Teflon in your action could bring harm.

Now, the Teflon in the Steinway piano is another matter.  But that turned
out to be poisonous to the playing, but not the player.

Will Truitt