[pianotech] teflon

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 10:07:43 MDT 2012

Hi Norbert,
-
I'm not aware of many instances where the PTG takes an official stand on
things like this. I can say that ex president of PTG, Fern Henry's  husband
Bill Spurlock (author of the PACE technical program)  has sold Teflon
powder to technicians for around 20 years.
-
There are a number of spray products that contain Teflon, then there are
the Teflon powders. I have found the powder to be a fairly benign product
to use on the piano. I use it sparingly on keybeds and hammer knuckles.
-
I don't use the sprays much these days, because most of the time I'm in
people's homes and the fumes are a problem. The problem I see with sprays,
is they tend to go places where you didn't intend. That being said, I have
had good success in the past using McLube dry Teflon spray on keypins and
keyframes.
-
On the other hand...
-
The *manufacturing *of Teflon is another story. And the reality is many of
the chemicals ultimately end up in our blood streams. Perhaps this is the
angle that has the person in question concerned about the product.
http://eartheasy.com/article_teflon_toxicity.htm
-
How many "wonder products" of the past have turned out to be a very bad
idea? The reality is there are many tens of thousands of chemicals
circulating around our environment that didn't exist 50 years ago. To think
we understand all the consequences and interactions that take place is
seriously naive. It's all a big experiment.
-
Ryan Sowers
-

--