[pianotech] Home Shop & Liability insurance

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Mar 30 09:06:43 MDT 2012

Not wanting to muck up Dave's Business insurance/attitudes thread, this
is a related thread for small, one man, rebuilding and in-home service
businesses, with a shop on or at their residence.

My shop is a large stand alone building next to my house.  I carry
commercial insurance to cover the shop building (separate from
homeowners) all under an umbrella commercial liability policy.  The
policy sets me back just under 2K/yr.  Over the years I've done a fair
amount of shopping and switching carriers, but the bottom line is always
that the coverage for the building alone is a huge percentage of my
insurance bill. Since the building is considered  a "commercial"
building (even though its on residential real estate), the carriers
require the replacement value of the building to be covered at a rate
well beyond what I would need to rebuild the entire building, its jigs,
machinery, replace client property, etc.   So the property coverage is
charged at a rate proportional to the excessive commercial replacement
value, no matter who I talk to.  The commercial liability which comes
with the umbrella policy is much easier to swallow, in the $400 department.

So those of you with shops on your property, as opposed to rented shop
space, are you shelling out that kind of dough for "commercial" property
insurance.  I checked the insurance guys that PTG is affiliated with,
but they couldn't deal with covering a "commercial" building.
Homeowners policies, by the way,  at least in MA,  though they can cover
at home businesses with a waiver, do not seem to be viable policies for
a large stand alone commercially intended building.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com