[pianotech] Sciortino insta coiler.

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 05:11:46 MDT 2012

       Greetings,
      I wind the string on a dummy pin, and use a pair of round, long needle nose pliers that I use to take the string off the dummy pin, hold it while it put in on the pin in the piano, and by holding the becket, can feed it through the hole in one motion.  Many years ago, I made a small indention on the inside of one of the jaws, , about 1/16" from the end. This keeps the wire from slipping out of the pliers when putting the coil on, and feeding the becket.  I also pointed the end on that jaw so the tool can easily slip under an old coil and pry it out.
    This pair of pliers is probably the most essential stringing tool, (other than the cutter and T hammer).  I use it to pull the wire out of the spool, I can grab the free end under the capo, go between bass strings to put the wire over the bridge pins, take old coils off and put new ones on.  With the right twist of the wrist, it makes perfect hitch pin loops, and if I have wound the coil too far, the round jaws go through the coil and pull it out without kinking anything.
    I figure that pair of needle nose has saved me, oh, maybe, $200 worth of Band-aids over my career.

     How do others cut the slot in the tuning pin for a slotted one? By the time I had gotten to the hole, the slot was too big and it is hard to keep small strings in the dummy. It works well for heavy wire, though.
     I use a slotted pin for really big bass strings, but since I am going to use the pliers to install the string, I have to grab it a some point, and it is just as fast with smaller wire, to have the string held by the dummy when I grab it as it is chasing down the loose end)

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

Small Awl or Ice Picker [sharp end],pulls out becket much faster and
safer..
Either tool with SHARP end works good and fast to remove old coils
from tuning Pin..
Try it..
Good luck!
isaac