[pianotech] New piano key?

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Tue Mar 20 22:10:32 MDT 2012

I find here in Manitoba that Yamaha uprights usually have balance holes that are too tight around the balance pin, and damper springs that are too heavy.

My "ideal" solution is to do the following to each note:
- "tidy" the area above the balance hole with a modified Balance Pin Hole Reamer (Schaff 3156, cutting surfaces ground back to a 45 degree angle (it will rotate fully in the mortise).  Nothing agressive here!
- ease the **sides** of the balance hole using a key balance hole burnisher (Schaff 43) so that the key will descend down the balance pin of its own weight.  Nothing agressive here either.  The descent does not need to be fast.  The key just shouldn't hang in mid-air on the pin.
- iron the key bushings using Pianotek's key bushing ironing cauls in a temperature regulated soldering iron.  Not too hot, and don't overdo.  Both front and balance rail bushings.
- polish the key pins and coat with McLube (after the fit is already tested)
- apply powdered teflon to the key bushings using a pipe-cleaner (perhaps after giving them a shot of TFL-50 dry (Schaff 1418)
- adjust damper spring tension with the Hart spring tool.

If you organize the tasks, this all can be done quite efficiently.  I just did this to an LU-101 I've owned for 27 years, and it made a real difference.  I've also done the key treatment to some new Yamaha pianos where the keys were not coming back up reliably.  Two of them were in a dealer showroom.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

Quote:
Hi, Seles: I'm not sure about this model, as I haven't seen it, but if I were to guess, it's the damper springs. It's an upright piano, right? Yamaha pianos have the spring-and-loop arrangement on the hammer butts, so it's not likely to have overly strong springs there. Unless there's too much friction in the key (not likely, or it would be sluggish). So, what's left? I've found on many pianos that the damper springs are too strong. Strong damper springs are also likely to cause hammer bobbling on a light blow. If that's a tendency, more than likely it's the spring tension. You can use a Hart spring tool to bend them backwards and weaken those springs a bit. Good luck. Paul McCloud San Diego

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seles" To: pianotech at ptg.org Cc: pianotech at ptg.org Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:11:37 AM Subject: [pianotech] New piano key? Hi all, i just bought new yamaha piano Ju 109, but i feel the key a little bit " hard" when press the key, It's that normal for a new piano? Any solution to make a liitle bit light the key? Thank Seles Regards