[pianotech] Evil Glue

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:30:52 MDT 2012

No it isn't!  Nice input though.

Paul

From: John Ashcraft <jaashcraft at gmail.com<mailto:jaashcraft at gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:15:36 -0700
To: <pianotech at ptg.org<mailto:pianotech at ptg.org>>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Evil Glue

Duaine,

This reply is off-list. I use a potpourri pot (looks like a tiny crockpot) with just enough water to float a clean tuna can with my hot hide glue in it. You can set it up in a customer's home easily and have glue ready in a few minutes. I save my used glue in the can, let it dry, and reconstitute by adding a bit of water when I need to use it. (Throw it away if it gets moldy instead of drying properly.) I changed from Titebond to hot hide glue when I did a set of hammers for a Kimball grand and got a spectacular tone improvement.

The little pot looks innocent, so the customer is not offended by or afraid of a messy glue pot. Another nice thing about the potpourri pot--you can put some real potpourri into it after finishing with the gluing and cover the smell!

John Ashcraft, RPT