[pianotech] New piano key?

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 09:57:27 MDT 2012

Hi, Seles:
I'm not sure about this model, as I haven't seen it, but if I were to guess, it's the damper springs.  It's an upright piano, right?  Yamaha pianos have the spring-and-loop arrangement on the hammer butts, so it's not likely to have overly strong springs there.  Unless there's too much friction in the key (not likely, or it would be sluggish).  So, what's left?  I've found on many pianos that the damper springs are too strong.  Strong damper springs are also likely to cause hammer bobbling on a light blow.  If that's a tendency, more than likely it's the spring tension.  You can use a Hart spring tool to bend them backwards and weaken those springs a bit.
Good luck.
Paul McCloud
San Diego