[pianotech] Agraffe Washers

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Mar 12 14:01:39 MDT 2012

Hi all,

Agraffe alignment is always a pain without some facility to make
custom thickness washers. I don't find OEM washers to be very useful
most of the time, because the thickness required invariably isn't the
thickness of the washers available.

For those who have a lathe, it is easy to turn up custom washers with
a sharp parting tool. A narrow parting tool can be used to part off
washers to exactly the thickness required. Wal and I do the agraffe
fitting in our shop. Wal fits them to the plate while I work the
lathe producing the washer thicknesses that he calls for after the
first nip-up of each agraffe which requires shim adjustment.

The procedure for turning is;

1) Turn up a sleeve of approx. 80 mm in length to the OD and ID
required (use either free machining brass or SAE 1214L as working
stock)

2) Sharpen a narrow width parting tool (I use a 2.5 mm wide cutter -
don't use throw away cutters - they are not sharp enough)

3) Make a parting cut of minimum width, such that the tool is cutting
with both outside edges of the tool in the stock.

4) Advance the cutter down the bed towards the chuck, using the
compound slide, by the width of the parting tool plus 20 thou, noting
the total number of thou the compound slide was advanced.

5) Measure the thickness of the resulting washer with a micrometer.
You can now calculate the effective parting-off loss due to the
cutter width. It will be, the amount the cutter was advanced towards
the chuck minus the thickness of the test washer.

The reason for going through this five step procedure before making
the custom washers is to determine exactly how much stock is lost for
each advance of the cutter from one washer to the next. Lets say that
the cutter loss is determined to be 95 thou (our 98 thou [2.5 mm]
cutter will become narrower as we sharpen away more of the tool).
Knowing this we can produce a 2 thou washer by advancing the cutter
97 thou down the bed, then parting off. For a 5 thou washer we
advance the cutter another 100 thou from where the last part-off was
made. Using this procedure, we can use up the entire 80 mm of sleeve,
losing only the cutter width between each successive washer.

You can now part off washers down to a couple of thou in thickness up
to whatever you require. Don't worry about the thinner washers
curling up a bit when they are parted off. They'll soon flatten out
when they are compressed between the agraffe and the iron plate
counterbore.

This might sound like something of an effort, but if you fit most of
the agraffes using a power screwdriver to determine those agraffes
which can be fitted without the need of a washer, you'll usually only
have about 6 to 10 agraffes which require a thin washer the get the
remaining agraffes to the correct position for pre-loading to
alignment.

Hope this helps.
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au

A web page with images of recent work and almost-audio-CD quality mp3
sound files of the Overs piano can be found at;
http://overspianos.com.au/more_info.htm

So put on your headphones, plug them into your freshly restarted
computer and sit back to over 20 minutes of pure piano.