[pianotech] missing bridle straps

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 23:18:03 MDT 2012

Terry said:
"Dang, too bad you can't edit after you send, lol. I did notice upon
removing the rail, that two of those repair springs had been installed.
I've done lots of full spring replacements, removing all the old springs
and pressing in a new set, which I HATE! So I might just get a whole set of
the screw in type; yeah their a lot more expensive, but much faster and
easier to install. I know they are usually installed without removing the
spring rail, but since I already removed it, I think maybe I'll just
install them with the rail out, then just put it back in, as I usually do
with the traditional press-in type. ..
Cheers,"

Terry,
It's obvious you don't know the correct way to install hammer springs,
otherwise you wouldn't even consider the screw in type.<G> In the time that
it would take you to install those damned things, I could remove/replace
springs/reinstall 6 sets to your one screw on type!. The real trick is to
have a work bench, some clamps, pliers wire cutters and 2 - 1/8" rods with
dowel handles on one end and pointed on the other.Each should span 1/2 the
length of the spring rail. Also needed is some hot hide glue, a scraper and
some spring rail felt. The hardest part is to remove the rail, ...use an
off-set screw driver. Convert the rail  and thread the brackets so you can
put the rail back on by screwing bolts through the rail into the brackets
from the back, (damper side), of the action. Once the rail is out, pull all
of the old springs out of the rail. Make sure the holes/slots are clear of
glue. Clamp the rail to a bench at each "break". (small clamps..4 needed).
Scrape all of the old hammer spring rail felt and glue off of the rail.
Recheck the holes and/or slots that the spring tails go into/through.
Install a new set of springs. Trim the tails and make sure they are tight
in the holes and/or slots. Slather the spring tails with glue and install
the new spring rail felt. Put the rail back in. Put all the springs into
the hammer butt spring grooves. You're done. Reinstall the action and
adjust accordingly. Should take about 2 hours total. Well worth it.
As for the missing bridle straps, I suspect the action is tilted towards
the front / keys so the hammers return on their own. Check it.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police