[pianotech] What's causing this vibration?

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:46:18 MST 2012

John,
I had a small Setengren  baby grand with a very similar problem.I had
sold this piano and  guaranteed it, so I had to find it. But this one
was intermittent and seemed to be worse when there was high humidity.
The owner mostly played after midnight when it was really quiet and he
was very sensitive to this noise. I was convinced it must be related
to the soundboard. It never seemed to be very bad when I was there so
I took the piano back to the shop and put a humidifier near it. It was
subtle and I could not find it. I even turned it upside down and tried
to wick glue under any possible loose ribs or the rim. I was all over
this thing. I thought it had to be gone. I returned the piano to the
house and it was OK for a week and then came back. This time, I was
there when it was making noise and it was loud enough to track down.
It turned out to be three screws in the back action that had loose
washers hanging on them. I still don't know what the screws were for
but the washers had done it. I removed the washers and it is fine now.
The humidity must have just been a red herring.
I spent about 12 hours on that one.

Doug Gregg

Message: 1