[pianotech] in-home-service

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 10 17:02:02 MST 2012

Meeting today, talking about agraffe repair and vertical damper regulation,
in one's shop, of course.  I don't have a shop, and am known mostly for my
tuning. But I have done some regulation, and all of it has been in home,
more than once lasting several days.  I'd just blathering to recommend doing
such work in-home has some advantages. I restrung a Steinway M. years ago
for a retired shop teacher, who I charged about 1/3 what I should have. At
that price he gagged.  When I got into the action, I found I couldn't even
regulate it, so told him I'd have to replace hammers-shanks-flanges, and
again I charged him way too little.  He double gagged when I told him the
price.  Long story made short.  About half way into the regulation work, he
said to me, "I am going to hand you a blank check, and I want you to write
in what this is worth."   I have to do most everything I do in-home, but
each time I have done something like this in-home people have expressed
great appreciation for the intricacy involved, and the complexity of this
thing called "piano". They have always been really happy to pay what I
asked, usually saying I under priced myself.  So, I don't have any axe to
grind, just a thought that perhaps time spent doing work in-home can pay
unexpected results in a positive way.

Les Bartlett

Houston