[pianotech] Cleaning cast iron frame

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:04:55 MST 2012

Rob
Dow Scrubbing bubbles is the best thing I have found for cleaning
around the tuning pins. I first brush and vacuum the loose dirt up.
I then have my metro vac in blower mode. I spray around one section of
pins at a time. Since it foams, there is not much liquid. I use an
automotive parts cleaning brush that is quite stiff nylon to help stir
up any stuff that is really stuck and then blow the foam to a corner
toward the front and mop it up with a rag.

 I do the same with the soundboard. First I use a microfiber pad on a
long wand to get off the heavy dust and lint. Since this is usually a
piano in my shop, I then have the piano tipped up on a skid for the
next step. I put a couple towels on the bottom along the rim. I spray
the whole soundboard starting at the top. Use the parts cleaning brush
as needed for really heavy dirt. The parts brush can be pressed
through the strings and will reach the soundboard. It slides along the
strings. Do a couple unisons at a time. The foam will run down to the
bottom and be soaked up by the towels. Work quickly so the whole
soundboard gets foamed and stays wet so there are no dirty rivers of
dirt that might leave a pattern of streaks. When it is clean, I blow
it off with the Metro vac. It will look like a new soundboard. It does
not bother the soundboard decal either. Just don't scrub the decal
area too hard.

I have used the Scrubbing Bubbles on the finish of the case too. If it
had been a smokers piano, you will be amazed at the amount of tar and
nicotine  that floats off instantly.  I towel off the foam. It works
so fast that the finish is not wet for long at all.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY

Message: 2