[pianotech] Rebuilding costs - was NY Times article on pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 18:21:58 MDT 2012

Terry said:
"Indeed, it was off the mark - my intent was to criticize Joe for
exaggerating "REAL rebuilding" and "got it all" - that's all. Only his use
of terms. I can't imagine that anyone who knows what they are doing would
do a complete belly, action, keyboard and case - i.e. complete
rebuild/remanufacture - for 1/3 the cost of a comparable Pleyel upright. I
mean what does a new Pleyel upright cost? Heck, maybe I'm way off base here
- wouldn't be the first time. But I suspect maybe not this time....."

Terry,
You're not off very far. I chose not to quote the price for my rebuilding
of that German Upright for reasons known only to me and my client.<G> I did
a Rebuild and NOT a Remanufacture. Big difference in my addled mind. Also,
I said the piano did not get a Refinishing of the case, per the clients
wishes. It got everything it NEEDED and a bit more. As for the price of the
Pleyel thang, I should have said a K52 and then you would have understood.
I used the Pleyel because, from a musical standpoint the Pleyel was a
closer match in musical and aesthetic beauty. Prices would be about the
same...that is IF Pleyel were still available in the U.S., which it is not.
They stopped marketing in the U.S. a few years ago, sadly. Love those
pianos.<G>
The actual numbers would be approximately 1/2 of what a new piano would
have cost. IF the case refinishing would have been done the cost of the
Rebuild would have been approximately 25% less than a new comparable piano.
Get it? Good. Sorry if you misunderstood my intent in stating the
comparisons. And, as I already said: Big apology to Wim. He just tends to
hit my buttons the wrong way.<G> Hopefully, he won't send a hit man after
me.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police