[pianotech] Ny Times article on pianos

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:05:04 MDT 2012

I see a lot of old pianos that need new homes. I take a few in for
restoration, I repair a few for a lot less than thousands. Some I tell
others about and they take them home and hopefully eventually ask me
to make them better. My approach will probably sound like blasphemy to
many restorers out there. However, there are a lot of pianos that can
be made quite serviceable for under $1000. Some of these old pianos
have seen very little use and need mostly some cleaning, lubricating,
and French polishing. French polishing can bring an old piano back to
beautiful condition in 6-8 hours. there is no comparison to
refinishing prices. That is my way of conserving this resource. AND
the old pianos sound a lot better than a new chinese piano, period.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc