[pianotech] NY times article on Pianos

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 17:56:59 MDT 2012

     There are several old piano makes that are as well or better built than Steinways, as we all know, and here is where "marketing" and "percieved value" come into play. Steinway used some "creative tactics" to push its name to the fore (such as, according to an article I read 'way back when in American Heritage magazine, paying college girls $100 each at the 1893 World's Fair to rush the stage and rip at Paderweski's hair and clothing) and the marketing "stroke of genius" of the Artist's Program: which promised an in-tune piano at the performance of visiting pianistic dignitaries, wherever they went --- as long as they were never seen with another brand of piano in public.
     I bring this up because the relative value of a Steinway to other makes, as with many commodoties, is based partially, as we all know, on public perception. And, other than the fact that they are clean and new, I see little in the imports to deem them superior. (Though I was recently pretty impressed with the new "Knabes",  I'll admit. ) If the public can not be convinced that it is worth the cost of restoring a non-Steinway to such a level of "perfection", many more of these superb pianos will wear out, do no more than take up space, collect dust and hold photos, and be dumped.  Period.
    As for "student loans", that is a matter of "marketing" and "perceptin", too. We should remember that colleges are entrenched BUSINESSES selling a PRODUCT (not philanthropic or charitable organizations) hence prone, like ANY business, to promoting their products for selfish gain rather than public ( or natonal) well-being. And so it is that many young people are letting themselves be "convinced" to take out student loans for training in fields for which there are scant job openings. Add to that the unfortunate human propensity for putting-off "work" as long as possible ( sometimes via "getting an education") and you have a  case of "the blind leading the blind, and both falling into the ditch". ( And taking ALL OF US with them, who are not prepared!)
     The world is indeed changing, and my advice: make yourself useful to others whom you LIKE, but WITHOUT concern for getting paid, and you'll survive --- and most happily!

Thumpe