[pianotech] NY Times article on pianos

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 17:52:21 MDT 2012

Well, I repin actions and even rebush keys without doing a total rebuild.
Gosh, the other day I even filed a set of hammers without replacing them!

Gee, had I known this is where it would all lead maybe I'd have thought
twice about posting it.  Things like this are inevitable.  The state of the
art rancher that I grew up in got bulldozed a few years back when it sold
basically for the land (too bad we moved too soon!).   Economies of scale
will always produce at lesser cost than individuals.  History is replete
with examples of manufacturing moving around.  I don't hear anybody
complaining about that cheap computer they are typing away on.  Maybe you'd
rather have an old IBM dos computer from 1980 made in the good ol' USA.  I
think they cost about $6000 back then, had a very small fraction of the
capacity and speed.  What would those computers cost with the rate of
inflation now?

There will always be a market for custom rebuilds of quality pianos.  I
haven't had a down day even during this last recession (knock on wood).  But
unless you are willing to sell your services for minimum wage you just can't
compete (nor should you) with modern manufacturing in terms of production
costs versus rebuilding pianos of negligible value.  I don't think it's any
great conspiracy.

I'm not sure that the young generation is not interested in becoming piano
tuners any less than our generation when I/we were younger.  It's always
been a somewhat specialized market.  When I want a plumber, electrician,
cabinet maker, carpenter. I have plenty to choose from and they all seem to
charge a living wage.  I have a hard time seeing the connection between the
future of our trade and the global oil market or "big Pharma".

Anyway, I saw this very nice small Young Chang grand piano in Seattle.  Lots
of custom design features, quality parts, well made (from what I could
tell).  Under 5' and sounded very nice and hadn't benefitted yet from any
preparation.  I don't know what the MSRP was but I'll bet it was quite
reasonable.  So try and talk your average Ms Johnson  who wants her 6
year-old to start taking piano lessons into rebuilding her Apollo Grand
which is coming apart even at Midwestern prices, and then show her what she
could have for a fraction of that cost and see what she says.   Or maybe you
could just repin the action, rebush the keys, rub on a little Howard's
Finish Restore and call it a day.  She won't know-or will she?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com