[pianotech] NY Times article on pianos

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jul 30 15:28:37 MDT 2012

What I see is one more way in which this country has paid for letting
Wall Street put most of the young and educated into indentured servitude
via student loans. The young generation cannot afford to become ordinary
everyday piano tuners, so the work is going undone. Even if people wanted
to get standard piano maintenance, they could hardly find anyone to do it
for an affordable sum.

So here we have a population fighting unemployment with scant success, but
at the same time it's nearly impossible to find people like repairmen,
affordable plumbers, doctors who will take the time to practice medicine
instead of pushing drugs for Big Pharma, or anyone who will do jobs like
repinning an action or even rebushing keys, without doing a total
rebuild and charging "California prices." (Sorry, David, I know that's
just how it is, living there.)

It's the same thing which affects all manufactured goods. Anything solid
and long-lasting stopped being made because the people owning production
could skim more by using sweat labor and turning out non-durable imports,
which purposefully cannot be repaired.

If people will step back and take a longer view, they might notice that
Peak Oil and Global Warming are neither of them myths, and the party is
nearly over. Check the price of corn this week. The national credit card
has been maxed out for years, and only the desire to postpone collapse has
caused the Chinese to grant us loans we can never repay, to buy more of
their stuff which they should keep for themselves.

The political cartoons this week are talking about driving toward
"fiscal collapse". Does anyone think that people will go on buying cheap
keyboards and imported grands after the Euro zone implodes (now in
progress) and food stocks worldwide go from thin to empty from
repeated droughts?

The ability to repair things has not been the flavor of the month (or
the year or several decades) but I think its time will come again.
In the meantime, we should triage the pianos before they head to the
dump, try to find homes for the better abandoned ones, make playable the
medium-tired but good, and sadly let the rest go. Anything which we can
do to slow down the trashing of pianos, some perfectly good, we should
do. I doubt that in twenty years building cheap grands in Indonesia and
shipping them here and to Europe will still be a viable business. And
maybe by then we'll start making and doing things for ourselves again.

Susan Kline