[pianotech] NY times article on Pianos

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:49:55 MDT 2012

Yeah, most of them are just…old.  I hope some folks still want to rebuild SOME of these beauties for what the were…kind of like rebuilding a Model T or A, or even a 40 Ford.  They're fantastic for what they WERE, but certainly not for going 70mph down the freeway, or even an every day to work car. Nor should that be the restoration to perfect thing happen. Some are worth being drivers again, and some aren't. On the other hand, I just put a new soundboard, bridges, etc and etc into a both 1911 Model A (Steinway) and a 1926 Model L; also a whole new keyset and action stack on a '32 L.  I guess you could call them hot rods, but built to old school standards. They're now daily "drivers" here at school. That's all they'll ever be, never some show piano on Mechem's Auctions for Muscle Cars.

It's where to draw a line of rehab, eh?  Where is that?  An old Steinway (Ferarri) is most of the time worth the effort, but is a '56 DeSoto or 72 Vallient (like any medium priced piano in the day) worth it?  Who knows?  The beauty lies in the eyes…

What about the cheaper new things(cars/pianos/whatever) out there…10 years down the road, they won't be fit to go down the freeway either.  Just sayin ;>)  Disposable cars are the norm now, too. Nobody in their right mind is going to rebuild an '89 Dodge Colt!! LOL….DAMHIK!!!  But, hey, if you find a '69 camaro in the back of some old farmer's barn, BUY IT!  I hope you get my drift.

I didn't look at Larrys new book, but I guess I should have.

This is a great discussion folks!

Paul