[pianotech] balance hole jig

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jul 27 07:23:05 MDT 2012

David S ( no c) said:

<It seems like it would depend upon the length of the straight portion
of the key stick for a particular model. I must not be understanding the
question.

Yeah...I hit the send button before that post had fully ripened.

What I meant to say was, tooling up to make a "for sale" jig means
making the jig fit many different applications and key configurations.

This jig works if it has a flat plane to sit on.  Any key which has no
sole would work fine with the jig as designed, since the keys bottom
offers a nice flat plane for the jig to sit on.  On the other hand, some
keys  have a sole. Depending on the length of the sole, and on whether
that sole is proud of the bottom of the key or flush with the bottom, a
one size fits all jig length becomes a bit tricky-er.

My question was how common is it for the sole to project. Those of you
who have been looking at key bottoms for 30 yrs, I thought, might have
more of an idea of how common the projecting sole is, and maybe even how
wildly the relative length of that sole varies.

My own private plan, since the jig is so dead easy to make, was not to
worry about it, and spend the couple of hours to make a custom jig if
some key bottom configuration comes along that doesn't fit the existing
design.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio