[pianotech] Never get in a contest . . .

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Wed Jul 25 09:58:17 MDT 2012

Hi Chuck,

I really do understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree -
only because I've been involved in so many forums and I've seen how this
has played out in different organizations.

I'm sure you've been in situations where an unruly child is behaving
badly, and the parents don't do anything about it. They politely ask the
child to stop, but he does not. They count to three, but nothing ever
happens when they reach three. They threaten to not buy the kid a toy,
or make some other kind of empty threat that never gets followed through
with. But the only thing that kid learns is that he can do whatever he
wants, and he ends up running the household and becoming a nuisance to
everyone. I'm sure, in those situations, you've thought to yourself, "I
never let my children behave like that - what is WRONG with these
parents?"  And it truly is the parents' fault for not knowing how to
discipline.

When there is a line, and crossing the line results in actual
consequences, behavior improves.

Ask Frank Baxter. His forum has rules, and the rules work. I've been
involved in many forums, and moderated a few. They all had basic rules
prohibiting personal attacks and harassment of others. When those rules
were violated, it resulted in a warning. And 95% of the time, that
warning is all that was required to remind the offender of where the
line is. There was usually an apology, followed by people getting along
with each other again. But occasionally, you'd get that one troublemaker
who refused to stop, and that person would be banned, and peace would be
restored.

As for the Whack-a-Mole game, I've never seen that as a problem, and I
certainly don't anticipate it being a problem with this group. We simply
don't have that many troublemakers. This forum is mostly made up of very
intelligent and polite people, and if there are a handful of bad apples
among us, I guarantee most of them will be on better behavior if there
is an understanding that we actually take our Code of Ethics seriously
and will follow through with protecting it.

#1. I will act honorably and in a professional manner.
#6. I will promote, in any way that I can, good will toward my
profession and toward the music industry.

To follow those items of the code doesn't mean we'll all be perfect all
of the time, or that we won't occasionally get heated or say an impolite
word to another member when we feel strongly about something. But to
repeatedly act dishonorably and unprofessional simply should not be
tolerated, because we've all agreed to not do so.