[pianotech] humiidity

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 19:06:08 MDT 2012

Laura asked:
"So, how important is it to have a sanctuary at the temperature it's used
at when you tune the piano? How fast does the wood take on or let go of the
humidity? If it was 60% when I tuned it (and 86 degrees Fahrenheit) and
it's only 56% when the A/C is on, how much will the piano change in pitch?
I can ask churches to cool down or heat up the room to the appropriate
level, but if they ?forget... do I have to reschedule? I'd love to hear
your opinions.

Thanking you in advance,"

Laura,
For me, I insist that the sanctuary be at operating temperature, at least 2
hours before my arrival. I've found that it's like herding cats if that is
not adhered to.<G> I reschedule if it's not. (period) I charge extra if
it's not, also. i.e. don't waste my time. I'm the same way with performance
pianos. I insist that all stage lights be on and the room/auditorium/etc.
be to performance temperature, at least 2 hours before my arrival. I also
insist that the piano be in the approximate position of the upcoming
performance. For theatre type stuff, the piano has to be accessible! DA!<G>
Also, I will not tune "to the Organ"! That's another herding cats thang.<G>
(especially if it's a pipe organ. Electronics is a crap shoot too. Can't
tell you how many times I've found Hammond B-3's to be wacked out.<G>
Well that's my take on it.
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.