[pianotech] Birdcage pianos

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Jul 24 02:44:18 MDT 2012

I'm glad you liked the recordings Susan!

I purposely didn't identify the recordings, just in case anyone wanted
to try and make trouble over copyright. They'd have to prove what the
recordings were, first!  In fact it's perfectly legal for me to use
them. Copyright in sound recordings in the UK lasts 50 years from the
end of the year of release of the recording.  One of the two vinyl LPs I
used (both UK recordings) is from 1960 and the other from the late 1950s.

The two pianists are Georgy Cziffra and Solomon Cutner (just called
Solomon).  Mono LPs, a bit  crackly.  I will look out the LPs and give
you further details.

Opinion and taste are funny things. A friend of mine checked over my
site ages ago to give me an opinion, and she said "Oh I'd get rid of
those recordings, those crackles detract from your site and make it
sound unprofessional". And then I showed the site to someone else and
she said "Oh I just LOVE the crckly old recordings! So authentic!".

I did look into royalty-free tracks that can be bought online, but I
felt in the end that using top-notch playing from now-historical
recordings in the end has more power, allbeit with crackles!  The
DIgital Pianos page has a track that is original, a little tune composed
(and played on a digital keyboard) by the middle son of friends of mine.
It's a little nod in the direction of Gottschalk. He didicated it to me
as, like his younger brother who died suddenly at the age of 22, I like
Gottschalk's music.

I also have a superb LP of Cherkassky which goes out of copyright at the
end of this year, so I will probably put some of that on too.

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk