[pianotech] Birdcage pianos

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Jul 23 12:18:00 MDT 2012

You're absolutely right, Richard, about the bread on the table!  And
they've also got many a family's piano lessons of to an acceptable
start, these little "late production" birdcage pianos.  Who made them -
Kemble?  One of those little late-era birdcage pianos, if pins tight an
all working OK is still better for a learner, in my opinion, than even a
high-end Digital Piano.

Where families have to be careful in the UK though, is not to be fooled
by the "modernised" birdcage pianos which LOOK like 1930s but are really
1880s with casework "modernised" in the 1950s.

There are plenty of birdcage action pics on the Birdcage Pianos page of
my website, and one on the Buying a Secondhand Piano page.

http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/birdcage-pianos.php
http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/buying-a-secondhand-piano.php

Best regards,

David.